What festivals do Hindus celebrate?
Given below is a list of the major Hindu festivals. This list is not exhaustive.
- Diwali (the festival of Lights), which celebrates the face-to-face meeting (darshan) of God-incarnate Rama with the residents of his hometown Ayodhya following his return from a fourteen-year long exile.
- Holi (the festival of colors), which celebrates Lord Vishnu’s protection of his child devotee Prahlada. It also celebrates Lord Krishna’s throwing of colors on his devotees in Vrindavan during his divine play on Earth.
- Navaratri, which focuses on worshipping the Mother Goddess. This is observed two times a year.
- Shivaratri, the wedding anniversary of Goddess Parvati and Lord Shiva
- Janmashtami, the birthday of Lord Krishna
- Ramanavami, the birthday of Lord Rama
- Ganesh Chaturthi, the birthday of Lord Ganesha
- Raksha Bandhan, the sister’s day
- Dussehra, which celebrates the victory of Lord Rama over evil
- Hanuman Jayanti, the birthday of Lord Hanuman
- Vasant Panchami, which focuses on remembering Goddess Saraswati